Frequently Asked Questions

The Schafer Law office FAQ's

Below are some initial questions many clients have when they first contact Michael A. Schafer, Attorney at Law. The questions below may address many initial concerns you may have about your accident. If you don't find the answers here, you should contact us for answers to questions specific to your case. The consultation is free.

  • Page 7
  • What's Personal Injury Protection (PIP)?

    Personal injury protection (PIP) and basic reparation benefits (BRB) are two terms for the same type of insurance. In Kentucky, your insurance company is required to offer you a minimum of $10,000. The $10,000 could be used to pay for your medical bills and/or loss wages if you are in an accident. These benefits are paid regardless of the fault of the party. In other words, you can be in a car accident that was your fault and still receive your $10,000 PIP or BRB. If the accident wasn’t your fault, the at-fault insurance company is required to reimburse your insurance company the benefits paid less $1,000.

  • Who Pays My Medical Bills/Loss Wages If I'm In An Accident?

    If you had car insurance at the time of the accident, your insurance company will pay for your medical bills and/or loss wages under your PIP or BRB benefits. Once those benefits have been exhausted (this is usually at $10,000 unless you have added reparation benefits), your medical insurance will begin paying your medical bills.

  • How Much Do You Charge And Do I Have To Pay Upfront?

    I work on a contingency fee basis. This means that I receive a percentage of what I collect at the end of the case. The contingency fee is 1/3 (33 1/3%). Additionally, you are charged expenses and unpaid medical bills. This is a sample of the contract you may sign with my office.

  • Who Will Pay To Fix My Motorcycle?

    The insurance company of the person who hit you will pay to fix your motorcycle. If the insurance company challenges whose fault the accident is, they may not pay for your damages immediately. If this is the case and you have collision coverage on your policy, you may want to turn to your insurance company. They will fix your motorcycle, but you'll have to pay your deductible. Your insurance company then would attempt to collect the deductible back from the at-fault party's insurance company.

  • Should I Accept A Check From The Insurance Company?

    It is always dangerous to accept a settlement without knowing all of your rights. In a car accident, once the case is settled, you can never re-open it, even if you find additional injuries at a later date. It's my suggestion that you consult with an attorney before accepting any checks or settlement money.