Many enthusiastic motorcyclists call Jeffersontown, Kentucky, home. Not only are there ample opportunities for recreational riding, but there is also even a yearly event called the Gaslight Poker Rally, a 96-mile ride with four stops followed by dinner and entertainment. Some motorcycle riders forgo driving in favor of riding to school or work and running errands.
At The Schafer Law Office, our experienced motorcycle accident lawyers in Jeffersontown, KY regularly fight for the rights of injured riders. We dismiss the common notion that motorcyclists are thrill seekers who drive too fast and risk their own safety on the road and demand the compensation you deserve when another party leaves you with catastrophic injuries. Don’t wait- call us to get your personal injury claim started.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Jeffersontown, KY
Motorcycle registrations in Kentucky are estimated at over 122,000 per year. This is not a lot compared with the 4.5 million registered cars on state roads, but the Kentucky State Police have confirmed that motorcyclists represent almost 8% of the fatal accidents in the state. Jefferson County has some of the highest numbers of motorcycle crashes in Kentucky.
These accidents are typically caused by driver negligence or recklessness. Unfortunately, the injured motorcyclist ends up paying the price. While several factors can result in motorcycle crashes in and around Jeffersontown, KY, some of the most common causes include:
- Distracted driving
- Drunk driving
- Dooring accidents
- Left-turn crashes
- Rear-end collisions
- Unsafe or blind lane changes
- Failing to yield
- Construction hazards
- Following too closely
- Dangerous road conditions
If you were traveling on a motorcycle, some insurance adjusters may automatically assume you were at fault. This assumption can affect the outcome of your claim and leave you with less money than you may be entitled to. Don’t take chances: The Schafer Law Office will thoroughly investigate your accident, identify all liable parties, and present a solid case for compensation to the insurance company.
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
When a motorcycle collides with a car or truck, the rider almost always suffers a serious injury. Even when they’re wearing a helmet and gear designed for riding, motorcyclists are exposed and lack the protection that other motorists have. Among the most common injuries caused by motorcycle accidents are:
- Road rash
- Broken and fractured bones
- Internal bleeding
- Organ damage
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Wrongful death
If you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident due to another’s negligence, our personal injury lawyers can help you seek maximum compensation. We have recovered millions of dollars in settlements and verdicts for thousands of clients and will pursue the best results in your case.
Compensation in a Jeffersontown Motorcycle Accident Claim
Motorcycle accident settlements include both economic and non-economic damages for your injuries.
Economic damages are awarded based on your financial losses. This includes medical bills and any loss of income and projected loss of income over the course of rehabilitation and treatment. Examples include:
- Current and future medical treatment costs
- Prescription medications
- Physical or occupational therapists
- Lost income
- Future lost earnings/loss of earning capacity
- Property damage
Non-economic damages include pain and suffering, emotional distress, mental anguish, and loss of consortium. While these damages can be more complicated to value, they are still compensable and a key element in your personal injury claim.
It is important to avoid accepting a settlement offer too early, especially if the offer seems low because you need to know the full scope of your damages. For example, if you are still seeking medical treatment, you may need more procedures or longer treatment to recover. In the event that you accept a low offer too early and still need treatment, you will be responsible for those additional costs yourself.
A Jeffersontown motorcycle accident lawyer can help you navigate the complexity of your future damages and advocate for your best interests, especially in cases with serious long-term injuries.
What Should I Do If I’m in a Motorcycle Accident?
When you’re involved in a motorcycle crash, your next steps are critical. The recommendations below can help you collect the evidence and support you need for a future personal injury claim.
- Call 911: Call an ambulance and the police right away, even if you don’t think you’ve been hurt. So-called ‘invisible injuries’ like concussions don’t always display symptoms right away and you may be more hurt than you realize. In any case, you will want medical documentation of your injuries.
- Get to a Safe Place: If you are able to safely move, get to a safe area, away from the line of traffic. Otherwise, remain still and ask bystanders to watch over you and call for help.
- Collect Evidence of the Accident: If you are able, take pictures and video of the accident scene. If your phone was damaged in the crash or you can’t move, ask someone else to do it.
- Exchange Information: Exchange information with the driver of the car or truck that hit you. This includes contact information and vehicle registration details. Avoid any discussion of blame: even a simple comment like “I’m so sorry” can be used against you later.
- Notify Your Insurer: Your insurance company should be notified following the incident. Be careful not to admit guilt in the case when delivering all critical details about the accident.
- Contact a Motorcycle Injury Lawyer: If you contact a lawyer as soon as possible after the crash, you have the best chance to gather evidence, obtain statements, and prepare for a claim. A Jeffersontown motorcycle lawyer can also deal with the insurance company on your behalf and negotiate a higher settlement than you could have accomplished on your own.
Who Pays My Bills for My Jeffersontown Motorcycle Accident?
Kentucky is a no-fault state for auto accidents, which is why drivers here are required to carry a minimum amount of $10,000 in Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance. If you drive, you can turn to your PIP insurance to cover your medical bills.
Nevertheless, if your own insurance does not cover all of your expenses, then fault becomes relevant. You can sue the at-fault driver if your injuries are not covered by insurance, or if the amount of damages exceeds $1,000. In addition, you may file a lawsuit if the accident caused at least one of the following:
- An irreversible disfigurement
- Weight-bearing bone fracture
- Permanent injury
- Permanent loss of body function
- Displaced, compressed, or compound fractures
If your insurance does not cover the cost of property loss or damage to your vehicle, you could sue the at-fault driver for those damages as well.
How Long Do I Have to File a Motorcycle Accident Claim in Jefferson, KY?
A Kentucky personal injury claim must be filed within one year of the date when the injury occurred. Compared to the statute of limitations in other states, that’s not a lot of time. If you or someone you love has been injured by another’s negligence, it’s vital that you act quickly, otherwise, you may lose the right to file a claim. The sooner a motorcycle accident lawyer starts working on your behalf, the better that lawyer’s chances of obtaining key evidence and of building the strongest possible case for compensation.
Get a Free Consultation From a Jeffersontown Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Getting a results-driven attorney on your side as soon as possible is essential if you’ve been injured in a serious motorcycle accident. Insurers may take advantage of your situation or make inaccurate assumptions about your claim because you traveled on a bike instead of in a car.
At The Schafer Law Office, our personal injury lawyers care about your future and will fight for the compensation you rightfully deserve. You can rely on us to help you navigate the difficult process of submitting a motorcycle accident injury claim. You have rights – let us help you protect them. To schedule your free consultation, please contact us online today.