Slip and fall accidents can range in severity from minor to catastrophic. While one person may be left with minor scrapes and bruises after slipping in a spilled drink at Stony Brook Shopping Center, another could suffer paralysis, traumatic brain injury, and even death after tripping on an uneven surface at Walmart.
Accidents involving slips and falls fall under premises liability laws, which basically state that property owners, whether residential or commercial, have a duty to maintain the premises in a reasonably safe condition for those who enter. Failure to do so can leave them liable for any resulting injury.
If you’ve been seriously injured in a slip and fall accident, call The Schafer Law Office. Our top-rated personal injury attorneys have decades of collective experience that we’re ready to put to work for you. Consultations are always free, and you only pay us if we win your case.
Slip and Fall Accident Statistics
According to the National Safety Council, falls are the second leading cause of accidental injury-related death: in 2020, over 42,000 people died in falls at home and on the job. The Kentucky Injury Prevention and Research Center (KIPRC) has indicated that over 300 people in this state died from fall-related injuries in 2018 and another 11,979 required hospitalization. The KIPRC has also indicated that falls were the main cause of ER visits for all age groups except those aged 18 to 24, who suffered more injuries in motor vehicle accidents.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents in Jeffersontown, KY
A slip and fall accident can occur anywhere: in homes, offices, shopping centers, sidewalks, and even on government property. Common hazards include:
- Unmopped spills or leaks
- Uneven surfaces
- Newly polished or waxed floors
- Unmarked drop-offs
- Staircases without handrails
- Bunched or torn carpeting
- Poor lighting conditions
- Electric cords or debris on floors
- Cracked pavement
- Snow and ice accumulation
Practically all of these accidents are preventable. Under Kentucky’s premises liability law, property owners are legally responsible for:
- Ensuring that their premises are “reasonably safe” for visitors and;
- Taking steps to mitigate potential hazards and warn others about them
Slip and fall accidents and injuries can occur when negligent property owners fail to take these steps. If you’re legally on someone else’s property and suffer significant damages because they failed to provide you with the legally required duty of care, you can seek compensation in a slip and fall claim.
Slip and Fall Injuries
The most common slip and fall injuries are severe bruising and broken bones. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, over 95% of hip fractures are caused by falls. Other potential injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI): A TBI is sudden damage to the brain after a fall, blow, jolt, or other type of impact. They range in severity from a mild concussion that clears up on its own to a serious injury that leaves you with seizures or cognitive impairment for life. TBIs can also cause intracranial bleeding, which can be fatal if not detected immediately.
- Spinal cord injury: Falling on hard surfaces like a floor or sidewalk can damage vertebrae or discs, leaving you with limited mobility and chronic pain. In extreme cases, paralysis can even occur.
If you or someone you love has been left with serious injuries after a slip and fall accident, you may be able to claim damages such as:
- Present, past, and future medical costs
- Loss of wages
- Diminished or lost earning capacity
- Emotional and psychological distress
- Your accident-related out-of-pocket expenses
- Wrongful death
What to Do If You Have a Slip and Fall Accident in Jeffersontown
If you’ve fallen on someone else’s property, the first thing you should do is report it. When the store or property owner is notified of the accident, they will investigate the claim on their own, gather evidence, and notify their insurance company. You will also need this report to prove that the accident caused your injuries.
Your next steps should be:
- Taking Photos: Make sure you take pictures after the accident or have someone you trust take them for you. Take wide and close-up photos from several directions, document the exact location where the fall occurred and capture what may have contributed to it, like a spill.
- Getting Witness Information: Try to obtain the names and contact information of anyone who witnessed the accident or was present immediately after. They can support your version of events.
- Seek Medical Treatment: Go to the emergency room or see your doctor even if you don’t think you’ve been badly hurt. What feels like a minor neck or back pain at the time can develop into something much worse. You’ll also need medical documentation of your injuries for your claim.
- Contact a Jeffersontown Slip and Fall Attorney: Once you know you’ve suffered compensable injuries, get legal representation as soon as possible. Kentucky has a one-year statute of limitations for personal injury claims (the timeline is shorter if you were injured on government property) so the sooner you speak to a lawyer, the better.
Do you Need to Hire a Jeffersontown Slip and Fall Attorney?
Legally, you don’t need to handle your claim with a lawyer’s help, but doing so makes it more likely that you’ll get the settlement or award you need. An attorney can deal with the insurers on your behalf, collect evidence to support your compensation claim, and negotiate for a settlement that covers your current and future needs.
It is not uncommon for property owners and insurance companies to claim that the injured party was partially or completely to blame for the slip and fall. Their lawyers may argue that you were distracted, entered an off-limits area, or wore inappropriate footwear.
For this reason, you should seek legal advice from a competent and experienced attorney. A Jeffersontown slip and fall attorney from The Schafer Law Office will gladly review your case to identify all liable parties and hold them accountable for compensating you.
Get a Free Consultation From a Jeffersontown Slip and Fall Attorney
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident, let a Jeffersontown slip and fall attorney at The Schafer Law Office help. You can count on us to fight for your rights and pursue a fair settlement on your behalf. From start to finish, you are our top priority. To schedule your free consultation, please contact us online today. No fees unless we win!