Free Consultation & No Fee Guarantee
You don’t pay unless we win your Kentucky car accident case! Call now: (502) 584-9511
Louisville Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer
If you’ve been in a slip and fall or premises liability accident in Louisville, KY, you may have some questions that the Louisville personal injury attorneys at Schafer Law Office can answer!
- What To Do After Your Slip and Fall Accident in Louisville, KY
- Fault in a Kentucky Slip and Fall Incident
- After Your Kentucky Slip and Fall Accident
- Slip and Fall Settlements in Kentucky
- Kentucky Slip and Fall Accident FAQ
What To Do After Your Slip and Fall Accident in Louisville, KY
If you have been injured on someone else’s property, there are pieces of evidence you can collect before you leave to see a doctor. Only collect evidence if you are able and will not be putting yourself in danger. While you are at the accident scene, here are some things you should do:
- Make sure you file a report with the property owner. This will document the incident.
- Take pictures of the area where the accident occurred. If you slipped on a wet floor and there was no ‘Wet Floor’ sign, make sure to get a picture of the whole area.
- Just like in a car accident, you will want to exchange information with the property owner. Get their name, phone number, and address if possible.
- Go to see a doctor.
Fault in a Kentucky Slip and Fall Incident
Determining who’s at fault can be very challenging in Kentucky premises liability cases. Two key factors in determining liability are whether or not the property owner knew about the dangerous condition and if the injured party was careless with their actions. In general, property owners cannot be held liable if they didn’t know about the dangerous condition. However, property owners who don’t routinely inspect their buildings can be held accountable for your slip and fall injury.
After Your Kentucky Slip and Fall Accident
If you’ve been injured in a KY slip and fall accident, you need to get legal advice from a Louisville slip and fall attorney as soon as possible. You’ll want to make sure any evidence that will help your case can still be gathered. You’ll want to make sure that the evidence is not destroyed. A premises liability accident attorney can help you understand your case and Kentucky law. You want a premises liability attorney who cares about you. You’ll find all that and much more in Mike Schafer, Bryan Meader, and The Schafer Law Office.
With Mike Schafer and Bryan Meader on your side, you’ll be in good hands. The Schafer Law Office has been helping slip and fall victims get compensated for more than 25 years. Unlike big Kentucky premises liability law firms who will have other people work on your case, Mike or Bryan is personally involved in every case.
The Schafer Law Office knows the challenges and pitfalls of Kentucky slip and fall injury cases, all the tactics of the “other” side, and how to best present the facts. They can handle the brutal tactics of the insurance companies. In fact, before Mike opened The Schafer Law Office, Mike worked for an insurance defense firm. He really knows all the tactics the insurance companies have up their sleeves.
Call us today to discuss your slip and fall case for FREE at (502) 584-9511.
Slip and Fall Settlements in Kentucky
People often want to know what their Louisville slip and fall case is worth, especially if they’re worried about medical bills and lost wages.
It’s a difficult question to answer, as everyone’s case is different. The value of your claim is constantly changing depending on the losses you’ve suffered. What this means is that as your medical bills go up and your lost wages increase, your case value changes accordingly. The best approach is to speak to a Louisville slip and fall lawyer who will explain the variables that go into assigning value to a case and help you recover everything you are entitled to as you recover from your injuries.
The Louisville slip and fall attorneys at the Schafer Law Office are ready to speak to you. We offer free consultations and you don’t pay unless we win! Call today at (502) 584-9511 to schedule your Kentucky slip and fall case review.
Kentucky Slip and Fall Accident FAQ
What Are Common Causes For Slip and Fall Accidents in Kentucky?
When someone slips and falls in a public area, like a mall or restaurant, the person who fell may take the blame for the injury. However, there are some instances where the property owner is at fault. For example, the property owner would be held responsible if they failed to use a wet floor sign when a floor is wet or slippery. The most common causes of a Kentucky slip and fall accident include:
- Wet or slippery floors
- Uneven floors
- Obstructions in a person’s walkway (like holes, cracks, wires, etc.)
Owners may fail to properly maintain the premises or equipment, such as doors or floors. This failure to maintain can cause an injury. The owner may be liable. If you have been injured on someone else’s property or business, you should always call a personal injury attorney to see if there is legal action you can take against the at-fault party.
What are the Most Common Slip and Fall Injuries?
Injuries caused by slip and fall accidents can lead to significant pain, disability, and even death. Falls are the leading cause of traumatic brain injuries and, according to the Centers for Disease Control, one out of every five falls causes a serious injury.
These injuries include:
- Broken bones: Ankle, wrist, and hip fractures are the most common types of broken bones in slip and fall accidents.
- Traumatic brain injury: You can suffer a traumatic brain injury even if your head never hits the ground. What makes these injuries especially dangerous is that in the beginning, you may not realize how badly you are hurt.
- Spinal cord injury: Depending on the severity of the injury, you could lose sensory or motor function below the impact point or even experience complete paralysis.
Understanding the most common slip and fall injuries can make it easier for you to assess yourself after a fall, follow your doctor’s treatment plan, and work with your Louisville slip and fall accident lawyer to make a claim for compensation.
When Should I Call a Louisville Slip and Fall Lawyer?
You’ve slipped in a puddle of unmopped water at your favorite mall. Should you call a Louisville slip and fall attorney? If so, when?
There are two situations where you should get legal representation ASAP:
- You have visible injuries. If you’ve been visibly injured, you should definitely contact a personal injury attorney as soon as you’ve received medical treatment. The negligent property owner or manager needs to be held accountable so that you can be compensated for your current and future medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other applicable damages.
- An insurance adjuster has contacted you. If an insurance adjuster for the at-fault party contacts you to propose a settlement, don’t share any information with them. No matter how friendly they sound, their goal is to pay you as little as possible, and even innocuous comments could be held against you later. Contact a Louisville slip and fall lawyer to advocate on your behalf.
Even if you don’t think your injuries are too serious, it may be beneficial to speak to a KY slip and fall accident attorney. Many life-threatening conditions, such as traumatic brain injury, don’t show any symptoms right away, and if you are suddenly incapacitated, your attorney can help you pursue a claim more quickly. Under Kentucky Revised Statutes section 413.140(1)(a), you have up to a year to take action, and an attorney will ensure you don’t miss the deadline.
The Louisville premises liability attorneys at the Schafer Law Office are ready to discuss your case. Our consultations are always free and you don’t pay unless we win! Call today at (502) 584-9511 to schedule your Louisville KY slip and fall case review.