Avoid terrible traffic jams in Metro Louisville with the help of Waze, a community-based traffic and navigation app. In September 2015, Mayor Greg Fischer, the Office of Performance Improvement and the Public Works Department announced that Louisville was named the fifth city in the U.S. to develop a partnership with Waze. Metro Louisville has teamed up with Waze to improve traffic conditions in the city by making it possible for drivers to get real-time traffic and road information on their mobile devices. Waze users get access to information such as accidents, pulled-over cars, road closures, etc. Smartphone users may download a free version of the app from their app store.
Related: The Dangers Of Distracted Driving
Features of Waze
If you’re not familiar with Waze, here are some of its features:
- Hands-free and voice-command features, which can be used even when you are behind the wheel.
- Traffic data.
- Asks users the question, “What’s happening on our roads right now and where?”
- Provides optimal route to get to your destination, accounting for road closures and other delays.
- Recommends the fastest routes based on real-time driving and data from millions of users.
- Nearly 1.25 million people die each year due to road traffic crashes.
- Road traffic injuries are the leading cause of death among people aged 15-29.
- Louisville ranked 36th on a list of the worst cities in the U.S. with traffic congestion and 128th on an international list in terms of worst city with traffic congestion.
Traffic congestion causes road rage
Louisville traffic congestion takes its toll not only on fuel economy but also on road safety. One consequence of congestion is road rage, the aggressive reaction or behavior to traffic. A Twitter user from Louisville even posted on her timeline that Louisville traffic really brings out her road rage. With this in mind, try to remain calm while in traffic. It can be hard to do, especially after a long day at work, but it will help you think more clearly. If you start to feel irritated because of traffic or because of the actions of another driver, try taking a few deep breaths to help clear your mind. If you allow road rage to take over, it could cause a serious accident.
Related: Avoid Road Rage, Keep Calm Behind The Wheel
As a Kentucky Accident Attorney, I like that Louisville is teaming up with Waze to help with our congested roads and improving road safety. This is why I encourage Kentucky drivers to use Waze and help reduce traffic congestion and prevent road rage. However, remember to never use your cell phone while driving. Take advantage of Waze’s voice-commands when you are driving. In case you get stuck in traffic and encounter a driver with road rage, it’s best to stay calm and do not challenge or confront the driver. Drive safely and focus on the road!