A lot of people like dogs. A dog is considered man's best friend, protector and buddy. Despite the joy a dog might bring to humans, a dog bite, attack or injury exist and can harm Kentuckians. Studies showed that 1,000 Americans are treated per day in emergency rooms due to dog bites. In 2010, there were 34 fatal dog attacks in the U.S. Children are the most frequent victims who receive medical attention. Half of these child injuries are from facial bites.
What breeds are considered dangerous?
There are certain dog breeds that are considered more dangerous. In 2007, pit bulls were responsible for 67% of fatalities. The next breed was the Rottweiler at 12%. A dog that has not been trained to obey its handler or owner is considered dangerous no matter what its size or breed.
Top 10 most dangerous dogs in the U.S.
The United States Department of Health collected data from the Humane Society and other sources about dog bites, dog attack and fatalities from 1979 through 1998. The following dogs were most frequently involved in reported attacks:
- Pit bulls - a brave and fearless dog that will take on any opponent. It weighs about 55-65 pounds.
- Rottweilers - weighs about 100-130 pounds. With its intense territorial instincts, they are very aggressive dogs and can make good guard dogs.
- German Shepherds - very alert, fearless, intelligent and confident dogs. They are about 70-100 pounds. They are commonly used as police dogs.
- Huskies - intelligent and energetic dogs but not a good guard because of its personality characteristics. They are normally mild dogs.
- Alaskan Malamutes - this breed requires a lot of activity to be happy and to avoid being bored. If they become bored, then they are more likely to disobey.
- Doberman Pinschers - with great alertness, intelligence and loyalty, they are considered one of the best guard dog breeds. They only attack in cases where its family is harmed or if it is provoked.
- Chow Chow - weighs about 50-70 pounds. They require constant attention and can become aggressive if badly bred.
- Presa Canario - guardian breed with man-stopping ability, incredible power and a complete lack of fear.
- Boxer - intelligent, playful and energetic dogs. They are not typically aggressive and weigh about 50-70 pounds.
- Dalmatians - they are active with great memories, and they are very protective dogs. However, they can be aggressive towards humans at times.
Any type of dog can be dangerous and can hurt you in any unexpected circumstances. Training, socialization and proper care can make a significant impact in a dog's behavior. It is important to be cautious around any dog that is unfamiliar to you. Being cautious is the best way to avoid a Kentucky dog bite and injury.