How To Disprove A Police Report For An Auto Accident

Louisville, Kentucky (PRWEB) March 14, 2013

Accidents in Kentucky happen every day and there are several steps one is supposed to take if involved in an accident. One of the first things to do after being involved in a car accident is to call the police. A police officer can secure safety, provide emergency medical care and make an investigation.

Police reports
In Kentucky, any person operating a vehicle on the highways of the state who is involved in an accident resulting in fatal or nonfatal personal injury to any person or damage to the vehicle is required by law to immediately notify a law enforcement officer having jurisdiction. The latter shall investigate the accident (KRS 189.635). “An investigation usually includes a witness statement, an accident reconstruction, photos of the scene and an interview of the drivers involved. The police will determine if there was a criminal action,” said Mike Schafer. “They will consider the speeding, alcohol use, drug use, mechanical violations and other important factors,” he added.

Subsequently, a written report will be filed with the officer’s law enforcement agency. The report will be filed with the Department of Kentucky State Police within 10 days after the investigation of the accident upon forms supplied by the department (KRS 189.635). Penalties will be given to any law enforcement agency that fails or refuses to forward the reports required by KRS 189.635.

Information in police reports
Necessary information in the police report includes the following:

  •     Names of all parties involved in the accident
  •     Driver’s license number and birth date of all drivers involved
  •     Time and date of the accident
  •     Location of the accident
  •     Make, model and year of the vehicles involved
  •     Property damage caused by the accident
  •     Apparent contributing factors (driver inattention, weather, road conditions, etc.)
  •     Automobile insurance information
  •     Citations issued

Challenging a police report
A police report does not automatically reflect what actually occurred in the accident. It may contain minor errors such as clerical errors to serious mistakes like points of impact centered incorrectly, wrong speed and blamed placed on the wrong party. Factual errors can be easily corrected but disputed facts are not. “Amending disputed facts in the police report is difficult but getting a Kentucky attorney can definitely help you. If the statements you have made during the police investigation or the conclusion you have arrived were different from what was written in the report, it would really be hard to change it. However, you can do something. Your remedy would be writing up your own account of the accident and request that it be attached to the police report,” said Schafer about disputing facts in an accident.

About Mike Schafer
Mike Schafer is sole practitioner specializing in Civil Litigation including automobile accidents, slip and fall and wrongful death cases. He helps victims of various types of accidents receive adequate compensation. He can be contacted at:

The Schafer Law Office
1218 S 3rd St, Louisville, KY 40203
Phone: (502) 584-9511
Fax: (502) 636-4702