Save a Life with This Mobile App
With LifeSaver, you can save a life. Distracted driving, particularly texting while driving, remains a serious and major problem for drivers of all ages. In Kentucky, there have been 623 road fatalities this year, which are 30 more than this time compared to last year.
Authorities have been doing what they can to reduce the number of deaths and injuries on our roadways and the good thing is that they are not alone. An app called LifeSaver, which when in use blocks the screen on the phone as soon as it detects that the vehicle is in motion help guard against distracted driving.
Recently, LifeSaver has been getting attention from law enforcement. Woodford County Sheriff Wayne Right said that it is a great tool and next month, he is taking the app in front of the Kentucky Sheriff’s Association board and he is hoping that they will support it.
LifeSaver is available on Google Play Store and App Store. It can be downloaded and installed by families, insurers, and law enforcement. This app, however, cannot be deleted and if the driver unlocks LifeSaver while driving, his or her loved one will be notified right away.
- Almost 18,000 people died on U.S. roadways in the first six months of 2016, a 10 percent increase over the same period last year.
- In a 2015 study made by the AAF Foundation for Traffic Safety, it was found out that 12 percent of the 1,700 serious accidents involving teen drivers were caused by cellphone use.
- In 2014, approximately 10 percent of the 32,675 traffic deaths involved distracted driving.
- In Kentucky, there have been 976 citations for texting while driving from January 2011 to February 2013.
- Drivers who use hands-free entertainment systems lose their full attention and alertness for 27 seconds.
The Role of Technology in Road Safety
If you have a smartphone, there’s no harm in installing and using this mobile app. It will not only make you focused on the road, but also give you peace of mind that your loved ones are driving safely, too.
Technology is a double-edged sword. It can harm or benefit us. Considering the statistics about distracted driving, it is evident that the use of phones while driving is dangerous. However, it is also through technology that we can fight against distracted driving and protect lives on the road.
As a Kentucky Accident Attorney, I am glad that LifeSaver and other mobile apps that aim to reduce traffic fatalities and injuries have been consistent in their goals. While these apps can truly help drivers concentrate behind the wheel, we should be reminded that we are primarily responsible for our driving behaviors and practices. As I have said several times, it is always best to stay focuses while driving. Get rid of anything that can distract you, whether it’s texting, eating, or grooming.