KSP: Prepare for Winter Driving
Kentucky drivers, prepare for winter weather.
The Kentucky State Police (KSP) puts out the message in hopes of cautioning motorists to be prepared for dealing with dangerous driving conditions. As winter approaches and the weather turns hostile, KSP spokesman Trooper Josh Brashears said that winter driving can present formidable challenges, such as freezing temperatures, reduced visibility, sleet, slick roads, and snow. He added that it can be a deadly combination if you are not prepared.
Moreover, KSP encourages drivers to download the KSP Mobile App so they will gain real time traffic updates when planning winter travel. He revealed that the agency had great success in using social media platforms to share pertinent winter weather updates and information.
KSP is likewise reminding drivers to plan ahead and ensure that all passengers are properly restrained. It is worthy to note that the vehicle to be operated should have been maintained and equipped to handle the effects of the cold weather and hazardous road conditions.
- In 2015, slippery roads were the contributing factor in 13,908 crashes and 70 fatalities that occurred during the year.
- Twenty-four percent of weather-related vehicle crashes happen on icy, slushy, or snowy pavement, resulting in more than 1,300 fatalities and over 116,800 injuries annually.
- According to a study made by the University of Georgia researcher Alan Black, more than 800 people die each year in the U.S. in vehicle crashes caused by freezing rain, sleet, and snow.
Winter Driving Safety Tips
Winter could make driving difficult, and as a Kentucky Accident Attorney, I urge motorists to stay alert and in control. We cannot be overconfident just because there are agencies or particular individuals to rescue us in case we end up stuck on the road.
Whether we like it or not, winter is approaching. We can still enjoy this season if we will keep our roads collision-free by observing the following tips:
- Check road and weather conditions before leaving. You may visit www.gov.ky.gov, KSP’s online traffic, roadway information and weather portal, to get real-time information. The site is updated every two minutes. Be aware of the current conditions and weather forecasts so that you’ll know what to expect on the road.
- Get winter tires. While this may seem like an additional expense, it’s worth your money and time. You’ll have peace of mind while traveling because these tires provide better traction, braking, and handling.
- Reduce your speed. It is always best to slow down and drive according to the road conditions. You may arrive at your destination beyond your expected or planned time, but you are certain that you are safe and sound.
Don’t forget these winter driving tips as you hit the road. Stay safe and warm!