Car Insurance May Cover Injured Cyclists and Pedestrians

Car Insurance

It is springtime and bicycles and walkers are everywhere. Unfortunately, there are going to be accidents. One common question that people may have is, “Who is going to pay for my medical bills and injuries if I am in an accident with a vehicle when I am on a bike or walking?” Fortunately, there are several insurance policies to look toward for payment.

First, let’s look at the payment of medical bills. One option you have is Personal Injury Protection, or PIP. How this works is you first look to the insurance of the car that hit you for PIP benefits. If they have it, the insurance will pay for up to $10,000 of medical bills and loss wages. If the car that hit you does not have insurance, you would look to your personal car insurance policy. I know you weren’t driving your car, but the PIP benefits will still apply and pay your medical bills. It is secondary to the at-fault car. Your insurance company will attempt to collect the money they paid for medical bills back from the person that hit you if they choose. If you do not own a car and do not have car insurance, you will submit your bills to your health insurance. If you do not have health insurance, you may be eligible for the Kentucky Assigned Claims Plan.

Related: The Kentucky Assigned Claims Plan

Uninsured motorist coverage
Now what about pain and suffering? Do you have a case for personal injuries if you were hit while on a bike or walking? The answer is YES! You can sue the person that hit you. If they have insurance, you will deal with their insurance company. If they do not have insurance, you would look to their personal assets. If they have no assets, do not give up. You should look to your own car insurance and your uninsured motorist coverage. Even though you were not in your car, this coverage may be available to you and pay you for your pain and suffering. You need to contact an attorney who is familiar with these claims so they can take a look at your policy. Depending on the policy language, you may still be able to recover damages. The point is, don’t give up. Look at all available coverage to make sure you are compensated.

Related: Uninsured Motorist Coverage (UM)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *