It's unfortunate, but many bicyclists are injured and sometimes even killed every year. Biking is meant to be fun and a good way to exercise. When you're biking in Louisville or anywhere in Kentucky, please always be careful and wear a helmet at all times.
- A total of 677 bicyclists were killed in 2011 and an additional 48,000 were injured in vehicle crashes. Bicyclist fatalities accounted for 2% of all motor vehicle traffic deaths and made up 2% of the people injured in traffic crashes during 2011.
- The number of cyclist deaths in 2011 was 9% higher than in 2010.
- Based on population, bicyclists ages 45–54 had the highest fatality rate, while the highest injury rate occurred in the 16–20 age bracket.
While bicycles don't have an engine, cyclists must follow the rules of the road. Kentucky law provides bicycle safety regulations and standards. Among those are the following:
- Bicyclists must use a front and back light when riding at night or whenever it is dark.
- Bicyclists must use a steady or flashing red rear light.
- Bicyclists are prohibited from carrying more passengers than the bicycle was designed to carry.
- Bicyclists younger than 18-years-old and who are riding in any Metro Park must wear a helmet.
Bike accidents vs car accidents
Bicycle accidents are different from other traffic accidents because riders aren't well protected. Cars have a metal exterior, seat belts and airbags that help protect passengers. Bicycles don't have any of those features. That means when a cyclist is involved in an accident, they are going to receive more damage. In case you are ever injured in an accident, please seek medical attention right away. That way, you can get treatment for any injuries you received.
As a Kentucky Bicycle Accident Attorney, I always encourage bicyclists to wear helmets every time they go for a ride. Your helmet can definitely protect you from any damage because it prevents head injury in a bicycle crash. Unfortunately, the helmet can only do so much. Cyclists should also make sure that their bike is safe to ride and has the proper safety gear. Cyclists will also need to make it easy for other vehicles to see them. You could do this through your clothing or by using reflective tape. Hopefully, with these tips, the number of bicycle accidents will decrease.