Do you have a hoverboard on your wish list this holiday season? If you do, then you will want to do some research when shopping for one or consider looking for an alternative gift all together. Hoverboards are predicted to be the top-selling gift this year. In fact, on Cyber Monday, one hoverboard was sold on eBay every 12 seconds! Recent reports, however, raise concern on the safety of these hoverboards.
One incident occurred in Louisiana. A house allegedly caught on fire after the owner plugged in a hoverboard that was only a few days old and was purchased online. Aside from being a fire hazard, hoverboards can reach speeds between six to 22 miles per hour, depending on the model. This makes the rider susceptible to collisions with pedestrians or vehicles. Also, the Consumer Product Safety Commission has received eight reports of emergency room visits that were hoverboard-related. None of those visits were from a fire injury. Safety experts warn consumers that hoverboards can cause serious injuries when used at high speed. Hence, it’s a must to wear a helmet, knee pads and elbow pads.
Safety tips when shopping for gifts
‘Tis the season to share some love. The traditional gift-giving during the holidays can sometimes put pressure on Kentucky shoppers. Nevertheless, make sure to choose your gifts wisely and do research on new, popular devices such as hoverboards. There are millions of toys being sold on the market today. However, before you buy, remember these safety tips to keep everyone happy this holiday season:
- Make it age appropriate. When purchasing gifts for children, give them a gift that matches their age.
- Look for the non-toxic label. Children, especially infants, are likely to put new toys into their mouths. Anything they can get ahold of, in fact. Take safety precautions by ensuring that the product is non-toxic and age appropriate.
- Choose washable and fire-resistant fabric. Many fabrics today are machine washable, but it’s always a good idea to find out before you buy it. Also, make sure the fabric is fire-resistant.
- Avoid violent video games. Keep children away from video games that are violent. Studies say violent games can contribute to aggressive behavior.
- Skip ‘loud’ toys. Toys that make sound are fun. However, you need to be aware of how loud the toy can get, especially if children are likely to hold it close to their ears. This will help keep our little ones safe from products that may trigger hearing damage.
As a Kentucky Personal Injury Attorney, I would like to remind parents to do research before they buy a new toy or device for their children. It doesn’t have to be an expensive gift, but it has to be safe. If you have or will buy a hoverboard, make sure that it’s quality-made. Also, know that many places are starting to ban them, such as New York City and airlines across the United States. We want everyone to have a fun and safe holiday. Please read customer reviews and do research before buying a hoverboard or other new toys.