Mike Schafer is 'The Lawyer Who Wrote The Book' about auto accidents in Louisville and the state of Kentucky. If you’ve been in a car accident, you may have some questions. We have the answers!
- What To Do After A Car Accident?
- Who Will Fix My Car?
- How Do I Get A Rental Car?
- After Your Kentucky Auto Accident
Car accidents turn your life upside down. One moment everything is fine and the next, a car hits you and you’re in an accident. When something happens like this, you'll need to find a lawyer that cares enough to get you what you deserve. Here are a few steps that our attorneys say you should make sure you do after you're involved in a car accident in Louisville and the state of Kentucky:
- First, call the police to report your accident. They will come and collect information from all parties involved in the accident. Most car accident reports are available between seven to 10 days after the accident.
- You will also want to gather evidence and take pictures from your accident scene. Only do this if it’s safe to do so. Do NOT put your life at risk to gather evidence or take pictures of your accident. The minimum information you need to gather is the other driver(s) name, phone number, address, license plate number, insurance company, make and model of their car. You will also want to take pictures of the damage to all vehicles involved, the accident scene, any injuries sustained from the accident and people involved. This could help your case.
- You need to see a doctor to make sure you are not injured. Some injuries don’t appear until hours or even days after your accident. You should get medical attention so the insurance company will see you were checked out by a doctor after the accident.
One of the most stressful and frustrating parts of being in a car accident is getting your car repaired. You have to wait for the insurance company to come and appraise your car then assess the damage done to it. You may not be able to drive your car or you may be embarrassed to drive a damaged car.
Car repair options
If you have collision insurance on your car, you have two options when it comes to repairs.
Option one - Usually the fastest way to get your car repaired is to go through your own insurance company. By doing this, you can begin the process immediately. Call your insurance company and get a claim set up as soon as you are able. By going through your insurance company, you will save time, but you will have to pay your deductible. Your insurance company will attempt to collect the deductible, as well as what they paid for the car repairs, back from the at-fault party’s insurance company.
Option two – Usually takes longer, but why does it take longer?
- First, you may not know who the at-fault insurance company is if you weren’t able to exchange information at the scene. You can find this information in the accident report, but it takes a few days for the report to be filed.
- Second, the other insurance company will want to take the statement of their insured before making payments for your car, or anything for that matter. This can take from days to weeks to even months. All this time you are without a car.
If you choose to go through the at-fault insurance company, the procedure will be the same, but the extra hoops that you have to jump through are headaches you don’t need. Also, if liability falls on you, the at-fault insurance company will not pay for your car. You are then back to dealing with your insurance company.
The insurance company for the driver that hit you should pay for your rental car. However, this can be a slow and frustrating process. Rental car coverage is always offered with full coverage on your personal car insurance policy. You cannot have this coverage if you only have liability coverage. This is the only way to make sure you will get a rental car while your car is being repaired.
The first step is to report the accident to the at-fault insurance company. If you did not get this information from the other driver at the accident scene, you can get it from the accident report. It could take up to 10 days for the report to become available but you can get the other driver’s insurance information. Then, you can start the process.
If you’ve been injured in an auto accident, you'll need to find a reliable personal injury attorney as soon as possible. Make sure any evidence that will help your case can still be gathered and not destroyed. An auto accident attorney can help you understand your case and Kentucky law. You want an attorney who cares about you. You'll find all that and much more in Mike Schafer, Chris Rogers, and The Schafer Law Office in Louisville, Ky.
With personal injury attorneys Mike Schafer and Chris Rogers on your side, you’ll be in good hands. The Schafer Law Office has been helping personal injury victims get compensated for more than 25 years. Unlike big law firms who will have other people work on your case, Mike or Chris is personally involved in every case.
The Schafer Law Office knows the challenges and pitfalls of personal injury cases (especially in Kentucky), all the tactics of the “other” side and how to best present the facts. They can handle the brutal tactics of the insurance companies. In fact, before Mike opened The Schafer Law Office in personal injury and accident law, Mike worked for an insurance defense firm and Chris worked for a global insurance company. They really know all the tactics the insurance companies have up their sleeves.