There are several new systems that are coming on the market that will help prevent accidents while driving. The technology is very advanced and not available for every make and model of car, but it will soon become an industry standard. This new phase of technology has been created to help prevent accidents. Many of the luxury vehicle makers are now marketing advanced warning system for some of their automobiles.
- Safety features in luxury vehicles
Volvo now has a Blind Spot Information System. This system uses outside cameras to alert drivers when another car is in their blind spot. It will activate an amber light on the left front window pillar to alert the driver.
- Mercedes-Benz has what is called Dystonic Plus system which uses both long and short range radar systems to distance the driver from moving vehicles in front of them. It will alert the driver using chimes if they are too close to the car in front of them. It also prepares the car for a collision by tightening the seat belts and cueing up the airbags. If the driver does not respond, the system will begin to brake the car up to 40%. Once the driver responds the system will relinquish its power back to the driver.
- Infiniti has what is called Lane Departure Prevention. This feature physically prevents the vehicle from drifting. The system determines this by recognizing if the car is passing over a lane line when the turn signal is not used. This feature will then apply the brakes on the opposite side of the vehicle which will ease the vehicle back into the lane.
- BMW has a Lane Departure Warning, which is very similar to the Infiniti’s Lane Departure Prevention. The difference is the steering wheel will rumble to alert the driver of the lane crossing. Also, it does not activate the brakes and has the option of being turned off.
- Lexus has what is called Pre-Collision System. This system has cameras mounted on the front of the vehicle and can sense when a frontal collision is possible. When this happens, the system will tighten the seat belts and boost the brakes. Once the driver responds, the action is relaxed.
Even with every warning system installed there will always be the potential for automobile accidents. This is because the driver has no control over the actions of the other drivers on the road. Also, uncontrollable factors, such as weather, will always put a driver at risk for an accident. These car safety features are nice, but you should always practice safe driving habits.